FWG BANNER
Electrical Fire Safety Week 
24/01/2012 
Electrical Fire Safety Week 
23rd - 29th January 2012 
Faulty or misused electrical equipment are the cause of a large number of fires in UK homes. Fire and Rescue Services across the UK are urging householders to take action so that they don’t become one of this year’s statistics. 
 
Electrical fires have increased over the years, simply due to the amount of appliances we all now use. Dodgy plugs, wiring and electrical equipment such as hair straighteners accidentally left on, are among the numerous and often unnoticed fire hazards in the typical home. In addition, many sockets could still be overloaded with space heaters and electric blankets because of the cold weather. 
 
Fires in the home can be devastating, but many could have been prevented if people had simply unplugged a piece of equipment after using it or not tried to run too many items off a single adapter. 
Read more at Direct Gov. 
 
Firewatch recommend you follow these basic guidelines to ensure 2012 is a safe year for your home and place of work…Don’t get a shock! 
Don’t overload plug sockets 
Regularly check for worn or frayed wires 
Unplug appliances when not in use 
Keep appliances clean and in good working order 
Consider using an RCD (Residual Current Device) which works like a circuit breaker to protect against electric shocks and reduces the risk of electrical fires 
Copyright © 2017 Firewatch South West Ltd 
Group Head Office, 1 Brunel Road, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 4PB 
tel: 0800 783 4171 fax: 01626 363172 
email: info@firewatchsouthwest.co.uk 
Produced by SpotOn - 01803 407407