Be safe this Halloween
With the popularity of Halloween on the increase year after year, the likelihood of a fire related accident is also unfortunately on the rise.
Please take a look at our fire safety tips to make sure your trick or treating goes off without a hitch.
It is safest to use a torch or battery-operated candle in a jack-o-lantern. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution. Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use long, fireplace style matches or a utility lighter. Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps and walkways
When choosing a costume, stay away from billowing or long trailing fabric. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so they can see out.
Provide children with torches to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs, and heaters.
Remember to keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
Tell children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire. (Have them practice, stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with hands, and rolling over and over to put the flames out.)
Use torches as alternatives to candles when decorating walkways and yards. They are much safer for trick-or-treaters, whose costumes may brush against the lighting